Social media has taken on an impactful role in promoting our professional abilities and personal attributes that investing in a headshot is more important now than ever. Most social media platforms require a profile image and your online presence may go beyond your organization’s website. Your headshots may be repurposed for other uses such as local speaking engagements, small business directories, online mobile apps or a second career.
Wondering if headshots are for you? Here are five reasons why you should consider hiring a professional headshot photographer:
1. Visually represent your professionalism. If you look professional, potential clients and business associates that don’t know you personally will likely agree to a first meeting.
2. Professional headshots give people an insight into your personality before they meet you. A smile portrays openness and approachability. A serious headshot conveys commitment and determination. Whatever the expression – it will match your personality.
3. Your headshot will jog the memory of business contacts that you may have met at a business conference or corporate function. The visual cue when referencing your online headshot and recognizing you makes it more likely they will accept your “friend” or “follow” request.
4. An up-to-date professional headshot gives people an idea of what you look like now. For most individuals that use old headshots from a couple years ago – it may have many questioning your authenticity when people don’t immediately recognize you.
5. Headshots complement the skills and experience on your LinkedIn profile or online job boards, making you stand out from the rest. Your headshot is the first element that visitors see (on the left) when visiting your profile.
Professional headshots aren’t just for corporate executives anymore. Everybody can use one. A great headshot will effectively represent your unique personality and professionalism – hopefully leading to new business relationships and new opportunities.